Ten Must See U.S. Summer Beach Destinations
UPDATED July 17, 2014
By WeatherBug Meteorologist, Fred Allen
- Manele Bay, Hawaii , is the top earner for the list of best U.S. beaches. Hulopo`e Beach on Lana`I Island is long considered one of the world`s most perfect stretches of sand at the base of the Four Seasons Lana`I at Manele Bay. A designated marine preserve filled with colorful fish and occasional dolphin add to the 70-degree refreshing water make it all the more tempting to visit.
- The East Coast`s ultimate vacation hub, Myrtle Beach, follows Manele Bay for a close second in reaching the Top 10 U.S. beaches. Located along South Carolina`s 60-mile Grand Strand, it offers everything from amusement and water parks, to restaurants and live entertainment. It also is the perfect spot for summer beach goers, with its silky white sand, fishing and sailing and surfing.
- A change-up at number 3, with Nantucket, Mass., offering a community of simplicity. It`s referred to as a "faraway fairytale land," with a bright blue backdrop of ocean and bay surrounded by white cottages and wild roses. You`ll enjoy building sand castles and a leisurely stroll along the nearly calm water.
- Rounding out the top five are Kauna`oa Bay, Hawaii, and Clearwater Beach, Fla. Nested on the Kohala Coast of Hawaii`s Big Island, is a picture-postcard with its abundant white sand, palm trees and clear, calm blue water. The crescent-shaped beach is a natural draw for sun and water enthusiasts alike. Not to be outdone, Clearwater Beach straddles the Gulf of Mexico, and offers everything from sun-bathing to parasailing.
- Coronado, Calif., Cape May, N.J., the second Massachusetts representative - Martha`s Vineyard, East Hampton, N.Y., and Cape Hatteras, N.C., round out the sixth through the tenth spots on top U.S. beaches to visit. For instance, Cape Hatteras stretches for 72 miles along the Atlantic Coast, known as a skinny trip of barrier islands from Nags Head to Ocracoke Island, N.C. Its sandy dunes and foaming surf make it perfect for swimming, while it also boasts the nation`s tallest lighthouse at an impressive 196 feet. Martha`s Vineyard has its own-fair share of hospitality, tucked underneath the infamous Gay Heads Cliff. It offers a paradise of soft, white sand framed by red and brown cliffs looming above.
Click here for comments or suggestions.
News submitted by WeatherBug users
WeatherBug Featured Content
Be Prepared, Know Before
Get faster alerts and better forecasts from the exclusive neighborhood-level WeatherBug network.Learn More