The Best Ways to Prevent the Flu
UPDATED November 21, 2014
By WeatherBug Meteorologist, Andrew Rosenthal
The influenza virus, or more commonly known as the flu, is a wintertime ravage with symptoms that range from very mild to life-threatening. Fever, sore throat and cough, runny or stuffy nose, and fatigue are just some of the signs and symptoms of the flu virus. What can you do to prevent the flu?
- Get a flu vaccine. Available right now at a doctor`s office, your local pharmacy and clinics.
- Try to avoid close contact with those who are sick.
- If you are sick, avoid exposing others by staying home from work or school for at least 24 hours.
- Cover your mouth and nose when sneezing or coughing to avoid spreading disease.
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Take any flu drugs if you`re prescribed them.
During the late winter, the peak of the flu season, the virus can be widespread across the U.S. For healthy adults, the flu can be a nuisance; but for the young and old, it can be debilitating or even fatal, so it is important to keep the flu from spreading.
WeatherBug`s Cold and Flu page
offers a range of flu facts including the latest flu activity in every U.S. state.
Know Before(tm) and stay informed! Download WeatherBug
for your mobile device and desktop computer for real-time observations, forecasts for 2.6 million cities, and the most advanced warnings to severe weather. Follow us on Twitter
and Like Us on Facebook
Story Image: A strain of flu virus is highly magnified in this file image from the CDC via the Wikipedia.
What do you think of this story?
for comments or suggestions.